Duff Islands - Solomon Islands - 18th Century Chart
Title: Sketch of the DUFF'S GROUPE. Discovered September 25, 1797 by Capt. James Wilson.
Publication: A missionary voyage to the Southern Pacific Ocean, performed in the years 1796, 1797, 1798, in the ship Duff, commanded by Captain James Wilson.
Date: Feb'y 1st 1799
Description: Map of the Duff Islands group, part of the Solomon Isles, with relief shown by hachures. Coastal profiles: View of Treasurers Island - View of Disappointment Island. Engraved by Thomas Foot who engraved the first edition of the Ordnance Survey between 1801 and 1804.
Condition: Good imprint, folding copy, slight loss to top left margin, repaired splits to centre right, stain to bottom right corner.
Image size: 240 x 375mm
9.5 x 14.75".
Order No. 2248
The Duff Islands (Pileni Taumako) are a small island group lying to the northeast of the Santa Cruz Islands in the Solomon Islands province of Temotu. They are also sometimes known as the Wilson Islands.
The islands are located at 9°31'48" S. latitude, 167°4'48" W. longitude (NE of Australia).
The Duff Islands consist of: Taumako, the main island, with nearby Tahua and Tohua
The Bass Islands: Lua, Kaa and Loreva. Treasurer's Islands: Tuleki, Te Aku, Lakao and Ulaka
Hallie Jackson Reef
The Duff Islands are located 150 km NE of Santa Cruz Island in the eastern Solomon Islands. The islands nearest neighbours are the Reef Islands, 110 km SW. The islands cover an area of 14 sq km, and had a population of 439 at last census in 1999.
The inhabitants of the Duff Islands are Polynesians, and their language, Pileni, is a member of the Samoic branch of Polynesian languages. The way of life is traditional by subsistence farming and fishing. Taumako has no roads, airport, telephones, or electricity. Contact with outsiders comes by battery-powered marine radio and the occasional cargo ship. The Duff Islands were named after missionary ship Duff, captained by James Wilson, which reached them in 1797.